Monday, October 19, 2009

Starting out, I wanted to use box straps, as I work in Retail, and cant stand the amount of box straps thrown out. Originally I wanted to create an upcycled light fixture out of the straps, in a orb shape, but moved to using more post industrial and post consumer products. I found pvc piuping, which had been used for material rolls, and decided to use them to make a stool, as it is a very strong product. The final stool, used upcycled pvc piping, box straps, foam off cuts and a fabric sample of an old end of line upholstery fabric. I binded the products using sealer, commonly used in tiling and pluming, and sew the top cushion togethere. I am happy with the final product.:)

6 comments:

  1. Turns out I did see this in class! It was super comfortable and I had no idea at the time that you put the cushion together yourself! Really liked how the PVC pipes had texture to them. I also liked the pattern you have created with different coloured pipes, but maybe a single colour or two colour pattern would be even better..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks pretty cool
    It looks very comfortable and the cushion really completes this... I was wondering what if someone really fat sat on it and pvc eventually got to him
    ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This design is really neat, I like the simplicity and use of materials. Really awesome poster as well.
    My only criticism would be the colour. Perhaps one colour would have more effective, although I do understand that sourcing pvc pipes of the same colour may have been quite difficult. Either way, really nice job:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a thoroughly functional product. I saw people sitting on it, and noticed that it was sturdy and comfortable.

    I agree with Emily in relation to the colour. Perhaps you could have arranged the PVC pipes to create a pattern with the varying pipe shades?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely made it looks really solid as well and very comfortable, the colours are nice but i would like it in one solid colour , very nice job though well done brett!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually really liked the random different colours! Because they were all kind of similar dull colours, so i think it works well together. The cushion was really sweet however.. i do think it would have been a bit more comfy if there was some kind of timber underneath it. It is great to see the amount of combined waste you have used. Well done.

    ReplyDelete